In stock on Friday September 24, 2021 at 9:00PM Pacific Time (Saturday September 25, 2021 at 4:00AM GMT).
Everyone except for UK customers can order directly. UK customers, please use link below, which will be live on Saturday, September 25 at 9:00AM local time in UK.
LIMIT ONE PER CUSTOMER. PLEASE DO NOT ORDER MORE THAN ONE SINCE WE WILL HAVE TO REFUND THE EXTRA UNITS AND PAYPAL WITHOLDS THE TRANSACTION FEE.
Please read this carefully, as well as the 'Advisory Notices' section. By placing an order, you acknowledge and agree to the terms below as well as our general store policies.
- Please make sure you have the correct address. This will really help us speed things up.
- We'll try our best to honor cancellation requests in time, but we cannot refund the transaction fee (~$10) since PayPal withholds that portion. Please be sure that you want this device before ordering.
- We expect to ship all orders by October 31, 2021. Please be patient and do not contact us about order status until October 31st. If you received an order confirmation e-mail, then rest assured it is in process and we are working as fast as possible. Inquiries before then may not responded to since we will be focusing all our efforts on shipping these to you as fast as possible.
- Please be aware that you may be charged import fees/taxes for non-US destinations. Orders that are returned to us due to non-payment of customs will be refunded less the round trip shipping costs.
- Thank you very much for your cooperation and understanding. This will help us get these devices to you as fast as possible.
We are proud to offer the RetroTINK-5X Pro, our first FPGA-powered device that introduces a few landmark accomplishments for bridging retro consoles to modern TVs:
- The first automatic optimal phase algorithm to produce the sharpest image with zero adjustments needed beyond selecting the base mode.
- The first custom developed FPGA-based Motion Adaptive Deinterlacing algorithm specifically for games to make 480i titles shine without adding lag or flicker.
- The first high resolution (1080p and above) video scaler that is capable of covering virtually all analog inputs: composite, S-video, component and RGB out of the box.
- Fully compliant CEA-861 standard 1080p modes to maximize compatibility across displays and capture cards.
- High quality polyphase scaling at both integer and non-integer factors for sharp pixels without shimmer.
- Seamless handling of resolution switches for drop free gaming on titles that switch between 240p and 480i.
The full specifications include:
- Input Ports: Composite (shared with green RCA jack), S-Video, Component, RGB and Composite on SCART connector
- Output Port: Digital Video to HDTV
- Source Resolutions: 240p/480i, 288p/576i, 480p, 720p*, 1080i*
- Output Resolutions: 480p, 720p, 768p, 1080p, 1200p, 1440p°
- Input Filtering: Selectable low-pass filter for noise reduction
- Composite and S-Video Standards: NTSC, PAL, PAL-60, composite video is decoded with a high-quality comb filter to minimize dot artifacts or a notch filter for a vintage look
- Decoder: High quality comb filter that minimizes composite artifacts or notch filter for a vintage look.
- Optimal Sampling Modes: SNES/TG16 256, Genesis/Saturn/PS1 320, NEOGEO 320, N64 386, Saturn 352, PS1 384 in 240p. 288p counterparts to be added later.
- Scaler: Polyphase interpolation (Bilinear Sharp and Bilinear)
- Deinterlacer: Motion Adaptive, Weave, Bob, Blend, CRT simulation
- Scanline Generation: Multiple types, adjustable intensity
- Latency: ~0.25 frames in Framelock, 0.25 to 1.25 frames in Triple Buffering
- Power: microUSB
*720p and 1080i inputs are chroma limited. All other input resolutions preserve the full original chroma bandwidth. 1080i inputs use 'Bob' deinterlacing, 480i/576i inputs can utilize all deinterlacer modes.
°Not all TVs/displays will be compatible with 1440p. The RetroTINK-5X Pro uses 1920 x 1440p CVT reduced blanking timings. 1440p mode is only available for 240p/480i/480p sources.
We can ship to the UK via DHL.
Note: If you received a PayPal e-mail confirming payment, you are in queue and no other action is necessary.
Cost is: $300 + $65 shipping. Please be advised that you will be charged approximately £50 for VAT duties. DHL will contact you via e-mail for the details.
Instructions, User Manual and Support
The RetroTINK-5X is designed to be extremely easy to use while providing excellent image quality with minimum adjustments. To get started:
- Plug in the microUSB power to the RetroTINK-5X
- Plug the RetroTINK-5X to your HDTV
- Plug in your video cable between your console and the RetroTINK 5X, select the correct input source using the remote.
At this point, you'll see sharp 1080p upscaled video output. If you're happy with the image quality, nothing else is needed - enjoy the game! If you want to explore the advanced features, check out the manual below.
All units ship from the factory with the version 1.24 firmware, which is certified for production QA and anti-piracy protection. You can find the latest firmware here:
For updating on Macs, please use a virtual machine such as VMWare or Parallels.
For technical support, please reply to your order confirmation e-mail. Please do not contact us on social media since messages and orders are impossible to track.
- IR Remote Control (2 AAA batteries not included)
- microUSB Cord
- Quick-start Card
- (Optional, $5) – SCART to composite adapter to convert the SCART port into a second composite input.
Known Issues that are Under Investigation
- Sega Master System may have sync problems.
- NEOGEO AES systems may have sync problems, although the latest firmware has improved this in many some cases, especially when paired with the HD Retrovision cables. For dedicated NEOGEO use, we still recommend a MVS-1C based setup as those have no problems.
- You will receive an order confirmation e-mail along with your order number. You will receive a second e-mail with your shipping notificiation. These are your status updates. Check your spam.
- For international orders, due to the cost of the device and the unreliability of international post, we will only ship via DHL which is fully tracked, insured and generally arrives in a week. Please be aware that you may be assessed customs duties by your government. Packages returned to us due to non-payment of customs will be refunded less the round-trip shipping costs.
- Domestic USPS packages are generally quite reliable and arrive within a 2 to 7 days, but in some rare cases may take 4 to 6 weeks due to delays that we cannot control. After 6 weeks, we will send a replacement and return label.
- The RetroTINK-5X Pro is a high-resolution video digitizer. It will reveal any flaws in your signal chain such as, but not limited to, poor quality video cables, poor quality power supplies or consoles that are inherently noisy to begin with.
- Virtually any and all noise issues have nothing to do with the RetroTINK-5X Pro itself.
- For the best image quality, you will need high quality video cables, such as the HD Retrovision component cables, or fully shielded/coaxial SCART RGB cables. We cannot provide support for the use of sub-par cables (such as those found on Alibaba).
- We cannot provide support or guarantee compatibility for modded consoles, including arcade conversions and superguns. Your reputable modder should be able to advise or contact us for advice to ensure proper operation.
- RGB SCART cables preferably use 75 ohm sync-on-luma or sync on composite. CSYNC directly from a console with the appropriate attenuation will generally work. Do not use TTL CSYNC or anything with a sync stripper in it.
- Not all TVs will be compatible with all modes, particularly 1440p.
- Non-defective items can be returned for a refund less shipping and transaction fees, but we ask that the user be responsible for the safe shipment of the device back to us.
- Non-defective returns must be in "like-new" condition. A restocking fee will be charged for units that are scratched, damaged or missing accessories.
- All units are covered by a standard 1-year warranty. Please read our store policy page for details.